Considering the fact that young adults – particularly women – are taking their own lives in alarmingly high numbers, setting off a complex public health tragedy in need of a plan, we spoke to Dr Era Dutta, (MD Psychiatry, DNB Psych, MBBS), Consultant Neuropsychiatrist & Therapist, Mind Wellness & Fortis Healthcare, Kolkata, to examine what could be the reasons behind this galvanising trend that is claiming lives of young women in the country. Below are the excerpts from the interview.
There are a number of things that may contribute to thoughts of suicide. However, the main factors associated with suicidal thoughts among women are:
- Lack of fulfilment of expectation
- Failed relationships
- Sexual abuse and harassment
- Bullying, especially cyberbullying
- Traumatic events related to one’s self-respect
- Post marriage adjustment related issues